Mod is a set of files and folders, including graphics, audio, video,
scripts, plugins, patches and custom files. Era introduces "Mods"
where each folder is called a mod and treated as game root directory.
It means that files and folders in mods should be arranged in the same
as in the root directory.
Mod: Mods\My Mod Name\Data
The contents of mods is not supposed to be modified at run-time. All
files which are subjects to be modified at run-time (like
settings, logs, temporary files) should be placed in real game
folders during installation. Several mods can exist in Mods folder at
the same time providing they are compatible. Every mod can have
unlimited number of in-game resources (snd/vid/pac archives in Data)
be automatically loaded.
If any mod has file with the same name as in original game, the file
from mod is used instead of original one. If several mods have file
with the same name,
then mod with the highest priority is used. To assign a priority
mod, add a number to the beginning of it's name, separated from the
text by space(s). The higher number is, the higher the priority is.
Example: "100 MyMod". If no priority is specified, it's assumed to be
0. In case of equal priority, the creation time of mods folders is
checked and the most recent folder is preferred during file search. This
mechanism guarantees that mods installed later will have priority over
Hint how to give a folder the most recent creation/modification time.
Execute "Tools\installmod.exe" with
mod folder name as the only argument.
Original snd/vid archives are loaded in the following order:
- heroes3.vid from CD
- heroes3.snd from CD
WoG is now distributed as regular mod and thus does not change any game
resources. Most of WoG resources are located in "Data\hmm35wog.pac".
WoG dialogs read directly this archive and ignore other mods. The
only not recommended way to fix it is to import new data in
hmm35wog.pac. WoG contains fixed first aid tent def which ensuring
no game freezing.
Additional optional modifications:
- Fast battle animation. To disable it delete file
- No pre-battle music. To disable it delete file "Data\wog - no
- Animated Heroes 3 objects. To disable it delete file "Data\wog -
- Animated trees. To disable it delete file "Data\wog - animated
- Battle decorations. To disable it delete file "Data\wog - battle
Yona is an open-source mod written in pure Delphi using Era SDK. It's
total optionality ("Data\Yona\settings.ini"), native support of all new
features by game, AI and multiplayer code. It's compatible with
other mods, does not store anythings in savings and does not modify ERM
scripts. To delete the mod, delete "Mods\Yona" folder.
New battle log hint in heroes style describing possible kill count,
average values, fatality values and new abilities used in attack.
- Pikeman / Halberdier ignores jousting bonus and inflicts 200%
- Captains Centaurs
- Battle Unicorns
- Black Knights
- Death Knights
- Sylvan centaurs
- Hell Steeds
- Cavaliers / Champions get 20% damage bonus per hex instead of the
original 5%. Bonus accumulates with other bonuses like attack
modifier, offense skill and so on.
- Swordsmen / Crusaders ignore 50% of physical damage while in defense state.
- Damage of Orcs / Orc-chieftains (throwing axes) depends
quadratically on the distance to the target.
Formula: Base damage * (19 - distance) ^ 2 / 100.
"Secondary skills scrolling" Mod.
Adds scrolling buttons to the right of secondary skills list in hero screen and allows scrolling [if more than 8].
The game became fully portable. All game settings are stored in
"heroes3.ini" file. Default CD scanning mechanism is turned off. Era
automatically loads files ".\Heroes3\Data\heroes3.vid" and
".\Heroes3\Data\heroes3.snd" if any. If "LoadCD" option in
"heroes3.ini" is set to 1, Era scans all CD drives seeking for
"Heroes3" folder. If above mentioned snd/vid archives are not found in
the game folder, Era will try to load them from CD, providing the
"LoadCD" option is on.
To enable debug mode set option "Debug" to 1. The file "eralog.txt"
will be automatically recreated at game start.
All erm files (and ert files with the same names) are automatically
loaded from "Data\s" folder at map start or when F12 is pressed. WoG
options dialog does not validate the existence of files on disk
anymore. The number of scripts is limited only by the amount of
internal memory. If a valid (negative or positive) number is found
before script name (ex. "50 Test.erm"), it's treated as loading
priority. If the file "load only these scripts.txt" exists in "Data\s"
then only those scripts which are written there (one script name per
line) are loaded. In this case loading order is the order in which
files appear in the list. WoG ini option "Alternate_Script_Location" is
not used anymore.
- A network game can take place at one PC between two game copies
different folders) if they have different "Unique System ID" in
"heroes3.ini". To generate the ID, just erase the whole settings line
run the game.
- External IP address detection mechanism was improved. The first
non-local address is moved in the first position of the list returned
Original editors (h3maped.exe and h3ccmped.exe) work fine. WoG editors
(h3wmaped.exe and h3wcmped.exe) may require special fix. WoG map editor
correctly opens maps and loads mods. It also applies all memory patches
dll's from EraEditor folder. Extended editor functionality provided
by GrayFace editor patch requires resources to be located in
h3sprite.lod and h3bitmap.lod. WoG campaign editor does not support
mods. To enable MapEdPatch functionality for new WoG objects
and to enable WoG campaign editor, the mapmaker can run "Tools\Fix
Editor\Fix Editor.bat". This will import all crucial data in
h3sprite.lod and h3bitmap.lod.
Custom buttons support.
It is possible now for any mod or script to have custom buttons
in most of in-game screens. MoP's original plugin (Buttons.dll) was
modified and became a part of Era. Custom buttons are described in *.btn files. All *.btn files are loaded from "Data\Buttons" folder at game start.
All documentation, changelogs, updated ERM and Era manuals can be found
in the "Help" folder.
- Windows 7 compatibility when running without "XP compatibility"
- No WoG installer anymore.
- Speeded-up calling all wog dialogs, several times lower HDD load.
- Optimized WoG dialogs HDD and CPU load. "reduce cpu load.bin"
patch was removed and HD-mod "Berserker's CPU
patch" option should be turned off.
- Writing ini files using ERM or Era functions now always result in
sorted list of sections and keys in file.
- Random maps generation in game/editor is no longer dependant on
snd/vid/lod files from Armageddon Blade.
- Game does not require native lods in "Data" folder if necessary
resources are found in other pac's.
- Added synchronized creature sounds by GrayFace.
- Script 98 (quick and smart savings) was rewritten, now supports
option in WoG menu, does not conflict with chat and is variables-safe.
- All tools were moved to Tools folder, included new standard ones:
lodexport, lodimport, objector.exe, repman.exe, resman.exe,
- Updated API and sources.
- F11 now extracts scripts from memory to "Data\ExtractedScripts"
folder instead of "Data\s\ExtractedScripts".
- Removed duplicated WoG initialization code.
- Fixed Era 1.9 PO/Memory bugs which led to invalid savegames data
- Fixed Era 1.9 bug when plugins and patches with ".off" extension
were loaded anyway.
Custom buttons support.
Each *.btn file (plain txt) contains lines (one per button) in the following format:
[Button screen];[Unique Button Name];[Button Def];[X];[Y];[Width];[Height];[Long description];[Short description],
where "Button screen" is one of the following values:
Every button automatically obtains ID which can be retrieved by
calling stdcall "GetButtonID" function from Era.dll with the only
argument of button name. If specified name was not registered, the
function returns -1.
- Dummy (button is not used anywhere)
Virtual File System ("Mods" folder
The following file system functions working
with names are supported:
New event "OnStackToStackDamage"
The event occurs when one stack attacks/shoots at another one.
- Attacker stack (0..41) or -1
- Defender stack (0..41) or -1
- Final damage (DONT
- Final damage (CHANGEABLE)
- Basic damage
- Damage bonus
- Is distant? (if not 0 or 1 then garbage)
- Distance (only for theoretical attacks)
- Is theoretical? (means hint or AI calculation)
New event "OnAICalcStackAttackEffect"
New event "OnChat" (!?FU77014).
- Attacker stack (0..41)
- Defender stack (0..41)
- Effect value (CHANGEABLE)
- Effect value
The first argument determine event type and the rest arguments:
- 0 (Enter chat)
- 1 (Input)
- Input string
- Action: 0 (clear box), 1 (close box) or 2 (default)
- 2 (Leave chat)
- Added "ApiHook" function. It finds out patch size automatically
compared to "Hook" function.
- Both ApiHook and Hook functions return new address of overwritten
code in the BRIDGE mode.
- v1 keeps Era dll handle when *.era plugin is being loaded.
- Era automatically calls DisableThreadLibraryCalls for all loaded
- ExecErmCmd does not kill the game on error.
- Event "OnNameColors" was renamed to "OnAfterCreateWindow"